Saturday, May 14, 2011

"Tray" Bien Georges Briard!

Forgive me. It's been two or more weeks since my last post. I haven't been able to get to garage sales, partly because of the rainy weather, and partly due to Saturday morning fatigue and other commitments. My son went to a birthday party today and before we came home, we hit my local Value Village in the hope that some little glimmer of something special would reveal itself.
Here's one of those little gems: a Georges Briard tray. I believe it was Valerie from Vonlipi's Favourites who educated me about this designer in the first place. Friday night is American Pickers night and after seeing it last night, I was prepared to crouch down and get dirty in my quest for vintage honey. I found the tray buried under a pile of forgettable trays.
I like that it still had the original label on the back. I guess it also means it hasn't been left soaking in the sink. After Googling Briard, I stumbled across another cool vintage blog called No Accounting For Taste. If you like my little 'ol blog, you'll love this one. Read the post about Briard.
I also found this dinky little Federal Glass dish for .99.
Earlier in the day, I bought these zebra tomatoes. The picture doesn't do justice to the colour.
I also bought fiddleheads. My son hated them and my husband told me that he thinks they're over-rated. I liked them. They taste earthy and healthy. I also bought black radishes that look like black beets. They were white on the inside and not as peppery as regular radishes.
Here's the best news. Last Sunday we celebrated both my sister's and father's birthday, along with Mother's Day. My mother presented me with this pretty Pyrex divided dish. She bought it at a rummage sale in St. Catharines for next to nothing. On her way out, they made an announcement that all kitchenware was half price. I'll have to confirm what she actually paid for it, but it was less than a cup of Starbuck's coffee. A lot less. Thanks mom. My mom's also been asking about my blogging absenteeism. I'll try to get my groove back. Besides my day job teaching, I'm completing a reading course right now. As Joan Rivers would say, I'm working harder than Charlie Sheen's liver. Yuck yuck!
I just have to find the lid now. I know it's out there.

Here's some primo early French electronica to go along with my Georges Briard tray. Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. Glad you're back! Great finds/gift, I saw some fiddleheads and heirloom tomatoes at the market today in Vancouver too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great finds...esp love the pretty divided! How do you cook your fiddleheads?

    ReplyDelete
  3. welcome back! i always enjoy reading about your wonderful finds. so inspiring to get out of the house and THRIFT!

    xoxo
    http://tinylittlehappies.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fiddleheads never really did it for me - I think it's one of things when you either love them or hate them.

    I just discovered Briard this past year. I think it may be easier to find in the US than it is here. I did find a piece "in the wild" a few months ago - a little piece in the Persian Garden design - on sale 0.25. I just love it!

    Glad you are back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the warm fuzzies, ladies. In my dream life, I'd just thrift and write about it.

    How did I cook the fiddleheads? I'm not much of a cook, but here's what I did. I first washed all the dirty matter off them. I think they're in the fern family, so there was a lot of that brown leafy stuff. Next, I par boiled them for a couple of minutes. After that, I sautéd them with garlic. I guess they're not everyone's cup of tea.

    Hugs to you all!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to live in New Brunswick - I had a friend who just lived for fiddlehead season - she would go and pick them and pick some more - I had no appreciation for them back then - I started buying them last year - they're actually not so bad..

    ReplyDelete
  7. GREAT things! Love the little polka dot dish. I'm always looking for things like that...

    Yay you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I happen to have the lid to your pyrex divided dish - the dish broke and for some reason I kept the lid. If you would like it please contact me @ litlhag@hotmail.com. Laurie

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I'm a slightly off-beat Toronto-area teacher who enjoys writing and photography. I come from a family of collectors and now I'm dragging my own family around to yard sales. It's just a bit of fun. Enjoy the scenes.