Friday, September 3, 2010

Hazel Atlas Bonanza

After putting the final touches on my new classroom, I hit the Value Village close to my school with a colleague who is hip to thrifting. We've decided to have funky rooms and try to hit VV once a week at lunch. I had no expectations this time since my current trips to Goodwill and VV have been fruitless. Well, today was different.
Look what I got! The complete set of Hazel Atlas utensil pattern mixing bowls from the 1940s. I'm still pinching myself. You'll remember how I bought the large size bowl at another VV a couple of months ago now. I think I paid $4.99 for it. I never thought I'd even find any other pieces.
So now I have the complete set, plus an extra large mixing bowl. I can't believe anyone would want to part with this.
Here's the best part: the price. The large bowl was $2.99, the medium bowl was $1.99, and the small bowl was $1.49. The pricing at Value Village is so inconsistent, but I'm not about to take them back telling them that the bowls were underpriced. I'm a happy woman today.
I bought this straw dispenser for Duncan. We always have straw dispensing issues and this solves the problem in style. Price: $1.99. Not bad.
Ever since I saw My Big Fat Greek Wedding, I had a nagging suspicion that I've somehow betrayed my hopelessly WASP background by not having a Bundt cake tin. It's not like we had Bundt cake all the time when I was growing up. Still, I dream of making something spongey and delicious with chocolate drizzled down the hole. Cost: .99¢
Speaking of .99¢, I got this piece of pale green pottery for the same price. It looked like it had been in someone's family for a long time and now nobody loved it. I like it.

I loved this groovy little Anchor Hocking bowl for $1.99.
Quick: name that glass manufacturer...
Oooh, I think Madge had her hand on the buzzer before Valerie. Yes, it is Pyrex. I actually bought it to use more than admire. We needed sturdy bowls this size and although they're not breathtakingly beautiful, they're not hideous either.
For $2.99 I bought this cute Made in Japan gravy boat. As you'll see in the photos below, I've got three different ones. I was charmed by the turkey and had to add it to the collection.


I think they'd look great hanging on the wall.
They really liked their gravy separated back in the sixties.

That's all, folks. Thanks for reading.
Erin

7 comments:

  1. I am so excited you found that set of bowls and for such a great price! I love them! Whoo Hooo for you. I also like the Pyrex bowls but I think my favorite is the orange flowered Anchor Hocking bowl!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Oooh, I think Madge had her hand on the buzzer before Valerie. " LOL

    your posts are so much fun to read! what a great haul! love the 1940s pyrex. of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not amused! lol

    Of course I had my hand on the buzzer WAY before Madge!

    The HA bowls are a great find and so is the Anchor Hocking bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait! Just because I'm here later than Valerie doesn't mean I lose! I said it first! ;)

    I just love your finds. Heading over to your classroom to check things out now...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You lucky girl! Those sure look beautiful as a trio, and what great pricing. I have one of those Pyrex bowls with the border and rim in blue, restaurant-ware I think it is? Works great as a utility bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erin you may want to check out Cul de Sac Shack's mug... Looks like your Hazel Atlas pattern!

    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_DaeDn87aiQ8/THB4sHitJnI/AAAAAAAABn8/oqDNqXwWuno/s1600/002e.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Six Balloons. You're right. I'll have to try to touch base with Missouri Michael regarding this matter.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I'm a slightly off-beat Toronto-area teacher who enjoys writing and photography. I come from a family of collectors and now I'm dragging my own family around to yard sales. It's just a bit of fun. Enjoy the scenes.