Sunday, September 5, 2010

The Thrift That Got Away

Here's what I didn't buy at Value Village yesterday, but I could have:
Ivy leaf mixing bowl without a maker's mark on the bottom. I want to buzz in with Hazel Atlas, but I'm all "Hazel Atlas this, Hazel Atlas that" this week. Two months ago, I didn't even know what Hazel Atlas was.
The price stickers were covering the maker's mark. I want to say Fire King. Feel free to buzz in on the Crockery Quiz Show. You can steal this from me. I love the butterscotch sheen of these bowls. They remind me of my childhood.
Pretty Remington Ten Forty typewriter.
Stepford wife-era fondu kit in avocado green with "crazy" daisies. Time for a key party - not!

Speaking of seventies, they were playing Steely Dan's "Peg" while I was in there. Suddenly, memories came flooding back. There I am sitting in the back of our large, wood-paneled Chevy station wagon crammed in with my brother and sisters. All of us girls have pigtails with those fuzzy ribbons tied at the end. My dad has sideburns and my brother is wearing North Star sneakers. Mom's wearing a sun dress and straw sun hat. None of us are wearing seatbelts. Dad cranks the radio dial and this song comes on.

Ahh, those were the days. P.S. It's good to wear a seatbelt these days. Just thought I'd throw that in.

4 comments:

  1. You are so young! LOL...I would have been your Mom in this memory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do believe that's Fire King "Peach Luster."

    I didn't know that white/green bowl was Hazel Atlas until right now, but I saw an entire set of 3 nested bowls just like that today at a flea market.

    I am not old enough to be your mom in that memory, but maybe your older sister in college, who played that album every morning upon awakening, because it didn't make my hangover head hurt any worse, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have bought the lot!! How much was the typewriter?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I picked up a Pyrex "Orange Gold"(has a fish scale type design on it) mixing bowl for 99c. Looked it up on eBay..sells for USD20!! Yikes! Very pleased with myself! Btw, would have bought the typewriter for the classroom. Totally funky!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I'm a slightly off-beat Toronto-area teacher who enjoys writing and photography. I come from a family of collectors and now I'm dragging my own family around to yard sales. It's just a bit of fun. Enjoy the scenes.