Saturday, August 1, 2009

My Favourite New (old) Show

For most of my married life, TV consisted of three channels that we were only able to see if the bunny ears were tilted on a 47.7 degree angle. We would also have to wear tin pie plates on our heads while Morris dancing around the living room.

Cut to this past winter: satellite dish, a gazillion channels. Alright, a lot of what's on is complete rubbish, but there are some good programs out there. My husband has become addicted to Top Gear on BBC Canada. It's on every night. I'm assuming it's available on BBC America and other international channels. At first, I thought it would be a boring car show, or that Ken (an Englishman), was watching it for nostalgic reasons.

Turns out it's amazing. Each show features a celebrity (usually a British thespian or rock star) driving a speed lap in a sedan. Last week I saw Hellen Mirren, Jools Holland, and Ronnie Wood. The three hosts are hilarious and critical. They tell you if a car is any good or not. They also do bizarre things all the time. Here's a clip of the three guys driving big rigs. They clearly have no idea what they're doing. I'm amazed that lives weren't lost.

1 comment:

  1. Hello,

    Thank you for your comment on my blog. The Find is available in Toronto. I know it's on Amazon.ca, but I also know that it was sold through all major retail chains in Toronto as well. I look forward to more yard sales! In The Find, there are all sorts of decor featured, from super fancy to very thrifty. And I LOVE a good garage sale, something we don't have much of in New York. Let me know what you think of the book.

    Stan

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I'm a slightly off-beat Toronto-area teacher who enjoys writing and photography. I come from a family of collectors and now I'm dragging my own family around to yard sales. It's just a bit of fun. Enjoy the scenes.