Thursday, August 20, 2009

Thrifty Finds in Action

There's nothing better than actually using your thrifty finds. I have a lot things languishing in boxes, waiting for the right place, possibly in a bigger house.

I bought this iron Edward Gorey-esque candle holder at a garage sale back in the spring. I don't think I paid more than $1.00 for it. The problem is that we don't use candles much lately.
Solution - put in on the front porch with a real bird's nest in it. Why not? I collect abandoned birds' nests. Most of them are in my classroom.Here's the plant stand I bought for $1.00 at a church rummage sale in the spring. It's not the most beautiful plant stand that I own, but I still like it. Those .69 ceramic pots you get at Ikea fit perfectly in it.
Here's a peak at our tomato bed. We've waited so long to see red.
Gorgeous basil. Can't you almost smell it?
Basil leaves harvested in my jade green Tupperware colander from a recent trip to Goodwill. We've already made four batches of pesto sauce. I'm sure foodies would disagree, but it freezes very well and we really enjoy being able to slather on the pesto sauce from our garden in the dead of winter.

1 comment:

  1. yum. love tomatoes! Real birds nest? Im a little bit afraid of birds. taken it from the tree or where ever it was...would terrify me :)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I'm a slightly off-beat Toronto-area teacher who enjoys writing and photography. I come from a family of collectors and now I'm dragging my own family around to yard sales. It's just a bit of fun. Enjoy the scenes.