Thursday, December 9, 2010

Kathie Winkle Plates, Vintage Cups and More Gerbil Pups

Rosie the gerbil just gave birth to another litter. This time it's a much bigger litter (5-6 pups). Yes, I know that Bob Barker would be telling me to get those gerbils fixed. I've remedied the situation by putting Diesel (who's like the K-Fed of the rodent world) in a separate cage. I'm not sure if the pups will survive, but I hope most of them do. Then I'll have to beg my students to beg their parents to let them keep one. If I'm able to get a picture of these tiny, pink critters I will. They're very cute.
On a different note, I had a good haul at the Value Village near my school. I found six of these stunning vintage plates.
The back stamp says "Flair A Louis Gordon Production Made in England." If anyone knows anything before I go Googling, that would be most helpful.
I also found genuine Kathie Winkle plates. I was only able to get two of the large plates, but I found four of the small ones (below). The lady charged me .99 a plate for the big ones and $2.99 for the four small plates.
I forgot to take a picture of the back of the plate, but it says "Broadhurst Made in England Ironstone a Kathie Winkle Design Handpainted Underglaze Detergent Proof Complies With Safety Standards Capri. I guess this pattern is Capri. It's so whimsical.
A Kate Bush interlude...
I found these vintage duck glasses for .99 each. The gold paint was in perfect condition.
These two milky glass Fire King mugs were .49 each. Someone had used them as candle holders and I spent a bit of time scraping the wax out of them.
Also for .49, I bought this vintage Centennial glass.
It's all sixties Canadian cool. Dig.
I can't believe I hauled all this stuff home on the bus, picked up junior, and still managed to schlep it a few blocks home. No pieces were damaged. The things you do for thrift love.

11 comments:

  1. lol thanks for the kate bush interlude. i could always use a kate bush interlude. she's one of the artists i connected to most growing up, and have never really let go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't hate me, because I don't know who Kate Bush is. HOWEVER, the awesomeness of your haul, and your dedication to hauling your haul, WOW! Don't even know where to start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be squealing (if only on the inside) if I saw those Flair plates at a thrift. They are just amazing! Love your other pieces too. You had a great thrift day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What. Great. PLATES. OH MY GOSH. I am green with envy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful plates! I love them and you found so many cool things!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have several Kathie WInkle plates of all sizes, bowls and tea cups with saucers. Would you be interested in buying them? Email me at jam.fan@hotmail.com. I can send photos, just no time right now. I found them at the side of the road for FREE!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a 12 place setting of Kathy winkle table wear. The pattern is AUTUMN GLEN. 12 dinner plates...12 lunch plates.... 12 cups and 12 saucers. NO chips. I do not do e-mial much so please phone me if you can help me pass this vintage set on to someone who can better use them. thanks sheila . In Calgary at 403-256-6115

    ReplyDelete
  8. My spouse and I stumbled over here by a different web address and thought I may as well check things out.
    I like what I see so now i am following you. Look
    forward to exploring your web page repeatedly.


    Take a look at my web site déménagement

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I'm a slightly off-beat Toronto-area teacher who enjoys writing and photography. I come from a family of collectors and now I'm dragging my own family around to yard sales. It's just a bit of fun. Enjoy the scenes.