Monday, December 6, 2010

One Down...

I love a package in the mail. On a recent post I talked about how I wanted to get my hands on a copy of Maurice Gee's Going West. A kindly reader put me onto the Book Depository. I ordered it online for about $10.00 Canadian and about a week later - voila- it turned up in my mailbox. I also love great customer service. Give www.bookdepository.co.uk some business.
I can't wait to start reading this book. It sounds like a dark, twisted tale of hidden identity set against the background of the New Zealand landscape.
My next most wanted book is Bad Vibes by Luke Haines. He's the former singer of nineties pop/rock band, The Auteurs. They had some good singles. I played their album New Wave last night. I hadn't listened to it in years, but it still sounded good. Anyway, as far as I can tell, Bad Vibes is about Haines' experience in the cut-throat music industry in the nineties. I'm sure if you were an English band who weren't Oasis or Blur, your management was trying to make you more Oasis-like or Blury. I enjoy reading angry books written by people who have an axe to grind. Always entertaining.

Go to fullsize image

Here's the Auteurs.


1 comment:

About Me

My photo
I'm a slightly off-beat Toronto-area teacher who enjoys writing and photography. I come from a family of collectors and now I'm dragging my own family around to yard sales. It's just a bit of fun. Enjoy the scenes.