Saturday, September 12, 2009

Snowflake Pyrex - I Knew the Day Would Come

Yesterday after school I popped by Value Village with the intention of looking for books for my class. When you've constantly got vintage and funky finds on the brain, it's impossible to just go to the books section and leave. Thank goodness I have no self-control, otherwise I would not have discovered the Pyrex beauty below.
Many in my thrifting sisterhood have posted photos of pieces from their stunning Pyrex Snowflake set. (Vonlipi, if it's called something else, please correct me). I knew the day would come when I would be confronted with a piece and I'd have to wrestle with my gut reaction to just buy it, versus the fact that buying it would mean the start of a new collection. It cost $3.99. I loved it and I had to have it. So, I bought it. Thoughts of delicious casseroles in January fill my mind.
Here's something very cool. I found this bag 'o stamps hanging on a peg. I thought the stamps would be boring. Boy was I wrong.
Here's what I found inside: a stamp of an old-fashioned camera, four stamps featuring Celtic designs, and this very cool little demon with bones. When you open the carved wooden case, the demon wiggles demonically. I can't believe I got all of this for less than a dollar!
I found the perfect space for this little guy on my shelf filled with Day of the Dead figures. I don't think the demon is Mexican, but the global fusion works anyway.

Here's the rubber side of the stamps. The big one hasn't even been used. The shame of it!

I LOVE How and Why Wonder Books. I've got about four in my collection. I was born in the early seventies and these books were always around. Gorgeously illustrated, Horses is from the early sixties and this copy is in perfect condition.

Check out the original price. "And that was a lot of money in those days..." I got it free because at Value Village, if you buy four books, you get your fifth free.


Lastly, I couldn't resist this huge Chinese fish decoration. I won't wait for Lunar New Year celebrations at my school. This fish is going up on Monday! The fish is actually stuffed, so I have a funky pillow if I get really tired at lunch. It cost $2.99.

5 comments:

  1. OMG,OMG,OMG! It's the 043? I have been hunting for this one for quite a while now! Yes the pattern is Snowflake. I feel like a Pyrex celebrity! LOL!

    Amazing finds! You have quite the thrifting karma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had some GREAT FINDS!!

    I have been thrifting for yooouuuuu...nothing that you have already purchased from the looks of it:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loooove you pyrex finds! I have found a couple of cute ones lately...but they were all about 5 dollars...and I have a hard time dishing that out. and like you mentioned...do i really need to start collecting something else? lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice Pyrex find, haven't been seeing much Pyrex lately... or when I do it's all faded/scratched/sad. I love cooking with my old Pyrex, the casseroles always cook so evenly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Vonlipi. I feel suitably guilty now. I will look out for another one just like this. I promise you that if and when I find it, I'll send it to you. It's funny how Pyrex gets so many so excited. Someone should write a book about this mysterious condition.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I'm a slightly off-beat Toronto-area teacher who enjoys writing and photography. I come from a family of collectors and now I'm dragging my own family around to yard sales. It's just a bit of fun. Enjoy the scenes.