Monday, September 21, 2009

Vintage in the Class Part Two

Here's my Made in Canada Coleman cooler. Last week it was languishing in someone's driveway with a three dollar price sticker on it. Now it's our funky junk trunk. The old metal table it sits on was left out in the hallway at my school last week. When I learned it was not wanted, I grabbed it. It looks like an old table the school nurse would have used in the sixties.
My cheerful Chinese pillow decoration bought at Value Village last week for $2.99 now hangs on the wall at the back of our class. Ironically, it hangs beside the "East" sign. If the weather holds out, I'm hitting Value Village on my lunch break tomorrow. Stay tuned.

3 comments:

  1. Value village eh? Never heard of it! I love that you take old and unwanted things and find useful ways to use them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love having thrifted finds in the classroom. It makes the space feel more homey. I hate going into classrooms where everything looks beige and miserable. My goal is to thrift a funky standing lamp for the reading nook.
    I even have a Bodum coffee press that I use quite a bit. Last year, one of my students said, "Ms. Hawkins, you're the only teacher I know who makes coffee in the middle of class." Guilty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love that metal table! good eye, good eye!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I'm a slightly off-beat Toronto-area teacher who enjoys writing and photography. I come from a family of collectors and now I'm dragging my own family around to yard sales. It's just a bit of fun. Enjoy the scenes.