Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Dime Store Thrift's Day of the Dead Treasures

Something very special arrived in the post today. Followers of this thrifty vintage blog will recall that my now good buddy Sonya at Dime Store Thrift ran a contest in the summer. She was going to thrift on someone else's behalf. How cool was that? The crazy thing was that I actually won. Typically, I'm a loser, so I was in complete shock. I've been in touch with Sonya via email and we've discovered that we have many things in common - including our age, which I won't spoil this joyous occasion recalling. I have spent the last two weeks avoiding Dime Store Thrift like the plague because there was some major spoiler posted a couple of weeks ago that I almost accidentally read. Now the cat's out of the bag.

Here is my email that I just fired off to Sonya.

Sonya,
I came home late for work today. I gulped dinner down so that I could make it to Curriculum Night at my son's school. As I was heading out, I noticed a brown box on my porch. Is it? Could it be? Yes. It was. I took the package back into the house and I almost sat down to open it. I would have been very late for Curriculum Night, so I used great restraint. As soon as I got home I ripped the box open. Oh my goodness. I LOVE EVERYTHING. I can't believe what amazing treasures you found. I have nothing like any of the pieces. Thank you so much. The skeleton box is wonderful. I love how the skeleton pops out. The little dolls, the magic potion, and the mini icon clutch are gorgeous. They'll fit perfectly on my Day of the Dead shelves. You spent too much, I'm sure.
I am going to log onto Toronto Yard Sale Snoop immediately and post my blurry photos. I'll try and get some better shots in the daylight. You are amazing, fun, and amazingly fun.
Sending a huge hug your way,
Erin
Normally, I would have taken a picture of the box on my porch and documented the whole dang thing, but it was too dark when I discovered it. Here is the box on our sofa.
Oh the excitement.
Look. She even has amazing stationery. Are you surprised? Me neither.
The sticker seal matches the card. That's how Sonya rolls. Sorry for the blinding flash.
A kind heart and glamorous penmanship all rolled into one crazy package.
In the box I discovered many little parcels all lovingly wrapped in waxy white paper. There were little information cards too, which I haven't even had time to read.
Look what I got! A Mexican coffin containing...
a pop-up skeleton. This is one of the coolest Day of the Dead pieces I've ever seen.
Also inside were these tiny little dolls.
One
Two
Three
Four beautiful dolls showed up at my door...
A tiny red plastic clutch.
Hand stitched.

And full of lucky icons.
This little bottle contains herbs. In the background you'll see the mini shelves I'll put these treasures on.
The blessed Virgin Mary no doubt wondering why my husband was watching Gordon Ramsay's F Word.
Here I am - one lucky girl. Thanks so much Sonya. You've made my week. I'll think of you every time I look at these splendid pieces you found for me.
Erin

5 comments:

  1. Hi there, I'm here from Sonya's to see what she found for ya! She did a great job :-) Enjoy your winnings :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, looks like she got it just right, Sonya should do it for a living!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness, she is good. I'm ready to pack my bags and move to Mexico, or at least Sioux City.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. WhooooHOOOOOO! I am so very glad they arrived safe and sound...One never knows when one is sending to a different Country, haha:)
    And I am just pleased as punch that they are going to be enjoyed, loved even! It was a BLAST to do.
    Sonya

    ReplyDelete
  5. you were so lucky to win this! Sonya showed me pics of these before she sent them to you...ok maybe I twisted her arm a little to show me, but I knew you were going to love them! She did such a great job!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I'm a slightly off-beat Toronto-area teacher who enjoys writing and photography. I come from a family of collectors and now I'm dragging my own family around to yard sales. It's just a bit of fun. Enjoy the scenes.