Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Bird Help Needed

This morning, I was standing in our still-being-renovated kitchen talking to my husband who was about to start plastering. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed an unusually-coloured bird by our birdfeeder...

We're not tropical bird experts, but we think it's a budgie that either escaped from its home, or was released by its owner.
Amazingly, I was able to get very close to it without it flying off. We've been watching it at the feeder all day. It's so strange watching a domesticated bird interacting with the sparrows. It reminds me a bit of the story Stellaluna about the bat that is taken in by the family of birds.
Isn't it beautiful? I'm worried that if I don't rescue it, the bird will not survive the cold, Canadian winter. I tried catching it with Duncan's butterfly net, but that didn't work. I'm not sure how I can catch the bird without hurting it. I have an empty gerbil cage I can put it in briefly, if I'm able to catch it. I was wondering about trying to throw a light-weight sheet over it. Any thoughts?
Erin

4 comments:

  1. Oh, Oh! Rescue the bird if you can, they can't survive our winters here. Our dear budgie Corona is a rescue bird, caught in our neighbors tree 4 years ago the day before a wicked frost. We used two butterfly nets and "sandwiched" him in. We have since trained him, and he has been the most adorable pet! Good luck catching him. Try to use some bait - Spray Millet (can get some at Dollarama). They usually love that stuff. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If the dual nets don't work, I have used a flour sack dishtowel to catch my own bird when he got away. Definitely rescue him, though, if you can. He's sure pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is so cute! I hope you can rescue him. Let us know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m KobyCache’s daughter, and the keeper of the little budgie you caught over ten years ago! He’s alive and well, enjoying the extra work from home attention these days.

    I saved this post a while ago and been meaning to update. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I'm a slightly off-beat Toronto-area teacher who enjoys writing and photography. I come from a family of collectors and now I'm dragging my own family around to yard sales. It's just a bit of fun. Enjoy the scenes.