Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A Happy Ending

Thank you ladies, for your kind and helpful comments regarding my last post. The bird saga played out all afternoon, but had a happy ending.
I put my thinking cap on and here's what I did. I took one of those scrunchy storage bags and dumped some bird seed in the bottom. After that, I realized I might as well stick the whole bird feeder inside it. I hung the bag on the birdfeeder hook and waited patiently for "Blue Flyer," as Duncan named the bird.
Eventually, the bird went down into the bag to get the seed. I snuck up and put this mesh over the top of the bag. Our next-door-neighbour's adult son was over for dinner and he helped get the bird out of the bag and into...
a gerbil cage - which I use to put the little critters in when I'm cleaning out their regular cages. I got the cage at a yard sale a couple of years ago for $1.00 (see, there's always a yard sale connection). I phoned animal services and they told me to make a perch and give it food and water.
Tomorrow, we'll say farewell to this little beauty. We're going to take it down to animal services, where I hope it will be adopted. We've got two cats, four gerbils, a hamster, and three beta fish. We're a bit maxed out with animals right now, otherwise I'd take it.

I was thinking of putting up a few signs later on saying where we're taking the bird.

That's all. What an adventure! I feel like I've done something good today.
Erin

5 comments:

  1. Erin you saved it! So glad and I'm sure it will find a home. Yes you are maxed with pets it sounds like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, oh, oh... could we adopt him? We have an extra cage and lots of love to spare. We could meet you at a Timmy's somewhere...
    Please email me at
    lrkoby@hotmail.com if you can.

    Lydia and family

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go, Erin! I love happy endings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that's wonderful-you saved the beautiful little parakeet! I'd take him in a heartbeat. This is a happy-ending.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy to hear you rescued the budgie (and what a great way of doing it!).

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I'm a slightly off-beat Toronto-area teacher who enjoys writing and photography. I come from a family of collectors and now I'm dragging my own family around to yard sales. It's just a bit of fun. Enjoy the scenes.