Tuesday, August 10, 2010

What Becomes of the Broken Plated?

I'm not having the best of luck with my vintage plates lately. As faithful readers may recall, I bought a sixties Banff souvenir plate in Ottawa and foolishly left it in my son's backpack. It wasn't wrapped in newspaper and when I got home, I noticed a big chunk had broken off the side. Break out your favourite sad country song.

My troubles hadn't ended there. Do you remember my funky Howe Caverns plate? The one that my husband even likes? The one that I use a lot? Oh yes, there it is last week with Peek Frean cookies on it. Well...
This morning, as I was rushing to get Duncan to his babysitters' I knocked it off the table.
"Howe" could I let this happen? Break out another sad country ballad.
The story has a happy ending. I found this groovy World's Fair/Expo '74 plate at Goodwill for $1.99. It's a decorative plate and I don't really want to start hanging plates on my wall. I'm hoping that since it doesn't have a huge "Toxic Paint" warning on the underside, that I could wash it and use it for dry snacks. Maybe I need to put a doily on it. Am I being overly cautious?
Anyway, Spokane, you rocked in 1974!
If refrigerator Pyrex ever comes my way, it will either be a complete fluke at a church rummage sale, or I'll have to fork out the big bucks on ebay. Today, I found these handy Dynaware refrigerator dishes with snap on lids. They were $1.99 each. Alright, brown flowers aren't my first choice, but they will get used. I found the little custard bowls on another shelf for .99 each.
Ta-da! I know that I should know more about Dynaware. I did a little investigating and they're pretty common. They are from the seventies, I believe. Hey, the seventies weren't all that bad. They had an Expo in Spokane back in the seventies, don't you know.
I'm sure the snap on lid will guarantee freshness.
How is your day going?
- EH

3 comments:

  1. I hate when I break things! Well girl at least you found a new plate. I like your 70's dynaware bowls. Not bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's why we thrift, then we don't lose major bucks when something bites the biggie.

    One time I spent hours HOURS making a handmade pottery item for my sister's birthday, only to break it when I took it to the store to buy a box for it.

    Caution: If you start hanging plates on your walls there will be no end. No wall will be empty. And guys will still knock them off and break them.

    Finally - a good use for country music.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip, MW. I take it you speak from experience.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I'm a slightly off-beat Toronto-area teacher who enjoys writing and photography. I come from a family of collectors and now I'm dragging my own family around to yard sales. It's just a bit of fun. Enjoy the scenes.